Sunday, September 30, 2012

When it Comes to Eggs, I'm a Tough One to Crack

I don't like eggs.  I don't like the way they smell when they're cooking or how they taste, or their texture - especially scrambled.  Yuck. There, I said it. Think I'm nuts?  I am, a little, I know.  I also don't like hot dogs and have never eaten one. I vividly remember being at birthday parties as a child and feeling ashamed of not wanting to eat the hot dog placed before me but being too shy or scared to speak up.  I ate a lot of peanut butter sandwiches at those parties back in the day.  Anyway, where was I?  Oh yes, EGGS.  

I know that eggs are good for you, in moderation, and pack a lot of protein; something I feel I need more of, especially in the morning.  So, in an effort to start my day with more protein and less carbs (after all, my 90 day weight loss challenge is underway) I made some egg "muffins" today.  

In order for said muffins to be edible the "other stuff" to egg ratio must be very high.  So, I chopped up some purple onion, Black Forest ham, celery, mushrooms and red pepper and sauteed it all.  Now that looks good. 



 Meanwhile, I whisked together 6 eggs, some milk and some grated sharp cheddar in a bowl.


I added the sauteed veggies and ham to the egg mixture, then using a ladle, filled 6 muffin cups (sprayed with non-stick cooking spray first). 



I baked them at 325F for about 20 minutes.  You may need to adjust the cooking time. I took them out when they looked ready.  


Much to my delight, they are actually pretty good!  They don't have a strong egg taste at all - nothing that a bit of ketchup won't mask anyway ;) 

If you have any tips on cooking eggs so that they don't taste like eggs, I'd love to hear them! 




2 comments :

  1. I really like the sounds of those :) OOoooo and I love ketchup with my eggs!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good! Hey do you have a fan page on facebook?

    ReplyDelete

UA-47769148-1