Friday, March 30, 2012

Our Menu: Week of March 24 to 30


Greek Salsa Chicken with Roasted Potatoes and Steamed Green Beans 
Oh boy, was this GOOD.  If you like feta cheese and Greek food, you have to try this.  It’s a very easy recipe and it’s good enough to impress guests.  Our guest this week was my Mom and I think she was impressed with this one!  I made a couple of modifications to the recipe, but nothing major.  First, I only used one lemon instead of two and it was plenty lemony enough.  Second, it says to put the ‘salsa’ mixture on the chicken after it comes out of the oven (i.e., cold), but I put it on the chicken for the last 15 minutes it was in the oven.  Cherry tomatoes taste so good roasted and I think putting the cold mixture on the chicken wouldn’t have been as tasty.  For the roasted potatoes, I just cut a bag of mini potatoes in half and tossed them with olive oil, salt, pepper and dried oregano and roasted them in the oven alongside the chicken (in a different pan).  I bought some tzatziki to go with them too. YUM!!!!!   You can find the chicken recipe HERE. 

Chicken and Mushrooms in Garlic White Wine Sauce, Baked Rice and Peas, and Candied Pecan and Blue Cheese Salad 
I have made this chicken dish a couple of times and it is really delicious – see this postThe Baked Rice and Peas was also easy and a great accompaniment to the chicken.  I also made my favourite salad with candied pecans and blue cheese. I usually add a chopped pear, but didn’t have one.  Still, an amazing salad!

Tofu Peanut Stir Fry 
This recipe is from Chatelaine magazine, which often has really good, easy recipes. It was tasty, but I’ll make some adjustments next time such as using firm tofu and cutting it in bigger chunks, not ‘French Fry’ strips as the recipe says, because it all fell apart.  I would also cook the tofu on high heat with oil in the pan first before adding vegetables, again to help keep it together.  The sauce could use a bit more flavour and kick too, so I would definitely add more garlic-chili sauce, teriyaki and peanut butter than it calls for.  Speaking of that garlic-chili sauce, if you can’t find it in the grocery store, just do what I did and use Sriracha sauce mixed with 2 or 3 minced garlic cloves.  I also added bean sprouts and green beans to the stir fry, but you could use any veggies really. 

Spaghetti with Homemade Meat Sauce and Steamed Broccoli 
The last frozen container of that batch of sauce I made a few weeks ago.  I will have to whip up some more since the living basil I got from Plan B is still thriving! 

Indian Cauliflower Curry Stew and Steamed Asparagus 
This was a really delicious vegetarian meal.  If you like Indian food (or FOOD as they call it in India...), try it.  The recipe called for brown rice, but next time I’ll use basmati.  I also doubled the amount of curry powder. I love curry!  Click HERE for the recipe.

Pork and Pepper Stroganoff with Steamed Broccoli & Cauliflower 
This is another Chatelaine recipe that I have made a couple of times.  It’s a very quick weeknight meal and delicious. Here’s the recipeI have made it with and without the jalapeno and it doesn’t really make a difference.

Bon appetit! 

(P.S. please pardon the spacing issues that occur regularly with Blogger.  Doesn't matter what I do, some posts just end up with weird spacing!)

 

No comments :

Post a Comment

UA-47769148-1